I just finished attaching the hem lace to my Butterick 6031 slip and now I have a custom, sexy red slip. This is a great pattern to work with and if you can figure out a good size, you can end up with a nice form fitting lingerie slip. I find the Butterick sizes run a bit large. What is very convenient though is that several bust cup sizes are included in the pattern so I didn’t have to do a FBA. I do not sew many knits so I followed along with Gertie’s online step-by-step slip sew along. Very helpful were her suggestions for zigzag stitch width and length for the different seams. And although Gertie’s instructional blog posts were spread out over a few weeks, really, this slip can be cut out and sewn in an evening.
Looking at the photos online I realize I should have given it a light pressing for the camera. I varied from the construction techniques by not trimming away the fabric from behind the lace at the upper bust edge to eliminate the need for the 1/8″ elastic strip to be sewn to the back of the lace. Doing this also added some durability to the neckline. I also chose to forego the little bow trim and the center front. I don’t like the way bows and rosettes create lumps under my clothes.
I found all the red stretch laces and red picot elastic at Sew Sassy Fabrics. At the hemline, I eliminated the slit detail. The hem edge has enough width that I didn’t need the “walking slit”, plus I hemmed this up at a mini length and the slit would have sliced right up to my panties.
According to the measurements on the pattern envelope, I should have cut a size 16, but I cut a size 14 because I measured the pattern itself and it is still a tad large. Those darn big 4 pattern companies seem to run large typically and add unnecessary amounts of ease. I got Gertie’s slip kit in Lavender from her Etsy online shop so I’m thinking I’ll cut this next one at a size 12 for a “negative ease” so the fit will be absolutely form fitting.