Here’s another apron from the vintage pattern, Simplicity 4825. I used  Alexander Henry’s fabric “Calaveras” I got from Mexican Sugar Skull for the apron and Michael Miller’s “Dumb Dot” in Sorbet Pink for the contrast and lining. I varied from the pattern by adding bodice sides and using the subsequent princess seams to give the bib more fitted shape.

I was lucky the wind pouffed out the skirt just as I clicked the shutter release. It shows off the scalloped hem. This is the first time I have tried sewing scallops.

Muertos apron 1

Close up of the pocket:

Muertos apron 2

The inside of the apron:

Muertos apron 3

Detail of the inside of the scalloped hem. I used Coletterie’s technique to finish the hem. The instructions in the envelope just had you turn up the edges and clip the apexes. With that method, I could just see wonky edges and fraying corners. I think this way of using a facing on a scalloped hem produces and much cleaner edge and better formed scallops:

Muertos apron 4

Simplicity 4825:

Simplicity 4825

Simplicity 4825