Tags

, , ,

I finally finished my dress for Sunni’s Sew Along for Simplicity 1880, the wrap dress version. You can see more about the Sew Along on her blog.  I had to make a lot of adjustments, so it took me longer than usual to sew it. I used this fun rayon challis print and fully lined it with Ambiance/Bemberg rayon lining.

First I had to make a full bust adjustment which I had never done on a wrap front before. I also changed the sleeves by using the ones from New Look 6750 which gave the dress a more 1940s look.

The pattern also had a VERY pouffy back which I didn’t like the look of on me when I mocked up the muslin version. So I replaced it with just a straight back. I realize the designer deliberately designed the dress with lots of pouffiness, but I don’t have the ideal long, thin and lanky model’s body, so it just made me look even more short-waisted than I already am – and dumpy to boot! So it was out with the gathers at the front waist too and replaced them with waist darts.

Detail of the sleeve.

Would I use this pattern again? Probably not. I had a hard time making the skirt hang right. The pattern had the center front and center back seams of the skirt on the bias and this made some weird folds. You can see the funny folds on the pattern’s envelope photo of the wrap version. I wished I had paid more attention to it. I experimented with the lining and put the front seam on the straight of grain. That took care of the the strange folds but too late for the fashion fabric. I ended up taking out a lot of the skirt’s width, at least an inch from all four seams at the hemline and tapered up to the waist. The seems to have cured much of the unflattering folds but made the skirt less swishy. You can check out the Flicker group for more great examples and those who followed the pattern more faithfully than I.

Patterns used for this project:

Advertisements